What Vitamins Should a 40-year-old man take?
Men who are 40 and older need adequate amounts of key vitamins and minerals to help them maintain optimal health. 40-year-old men need vitamins for proper nerve function, digestion, and organ and muscle growth. It is something that all 40-year-old men should be considering, if not currently on a supplement plan. A supplement plan provides the vitamins necessary to stay healthy as the body ages. But which vitamins does a 40-year-old man need?
Vitamins and Minerals 40-year-old Men Need to Take
Most people do not get enough vitamins even if they consume what they feel to be a well-balanced diet. Supplements play a huge role in filling in the most common nutritional gaps. They are equally beneficial for those who don’t eat well-balanced meals and healthy snacks. Adding daily supplements to a health regimen can help make sure any deficiencies are avoided or covered. Talk to your primary care physician about which vitamins you may need. In general, men over 40 need to include these seven key vitamins.
- Vitamin D – It is estimated that about 95% of adults in the US do not consume enough Vitamin D in their diet alone. That’s quite understandable since it’s not found naturally in very many food sources. Of course, the body makes D3 when it is exposed to the sun’s UV rays. But protecting your skin from harmful rays also prevents your body from making adequate amounts of vitamin D3. Make sure to include it in your supplemental intake.
- Magnesium – People over 30 years of age need more magnesium. It is crucial to the body and plays a role in controlling blood sugar and blood pressure. It is also important for bone health, improved sleep, and protein synthesis. Magnesium also helps to relax smooth muscles in blood vessels, which is essential for cardiovascular health.
- Potassium – Your need for this mineral does not increase after 40. However, many adults do not consume enough of this key nutrient. It is essential for helping keep blood pressure levels in check. Potassium also aids with proper cell function.
- Vitamin B12 – The body doesn’t make its own Vitamin B12. The essential vitamin is most easily consumed in animal products. B12 is absorbed in the GI tract. Storage of B12 is a complex process involving three organs and lots of enzymes working together. As a male ages, the process becomes less efficient. It’s difficult for healthy adults to maintain enough B12. Men over 40 should make sure their supplements include adequate amounts of B12.
- Calcium – This essential mineral helps ensure bones stay strong throughout a man’s life. It also plays a role in improving muscle contraction, heart health, and nerve function.
- Zinc – It’s easy to get inadequate amounts of this mineral. Studies indicate about 15% of adults in the US have low zinc levels. Zinc is essential for supporting the immune system. But for men, it’s also essential for prostate health. Once you hit the 40-year mark, getting enough zinc is even more important.
- Omega-3s – It is estimated that almost 70% of American adults don’t get enough omega-3s. They are essential for heart health. This makes them even more important since heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death in adults.
- Boron – Foods like raisins, chickpeas, prunes, and almonds contain the trace mineral boron. It provides support for bone health, brain function, and a healthy immune response. Men who do not eat enough fruits and vegetables may have lower levels of boron. Boron has some impressive properties including supporting prostate health.
- Creatine – Red meat and seafood contain this non-protein amino acid. When taken as a supplement, it helps improve athletic performance and supports muscle recovery. Creatine is produced in the kidneys, pancreas, and liver. It is stored in muscle tissue which is where it provides the energy needed for muscles to contract. Men over 40 experience gradually declining testosterone which causes loss of lean muscle mass. Creatine helps men build and retain muscle as they age.
- Selenium – This trace element is found in organ meat, fish, and Brazil nuts. Acting as a powerful antioxidant, it protects cells from free radical damage. Selenium has the potential of neutralizing free radicals.
Supplements for Men Over 40
When choosing supplements, men over 40 need to be sure they are getting all the nutrients they need. Eating a healthy, varied diet is the best way to get a lot of different nutrients. However, time constraints, busy lifestyles, and seasonal availability make it difficult to get the variety needed to ensure men over 40 get all the nutrients needed. That’s why so many medical professionals and nutritionists recommend taking supplements along with consuming a healthy diet. Make sure your supplements contain these and other essential vitamins and minerals.
Choosing the right supplements can help you build muscle, lose weight, and increase energy levels. They can also help improve cardiovascular health while decreasing the chances of contracting a variety of age-related health conditions. Men who want to continue good health as they age should consider taking supplements. It’s a simple, but powerful way to be proactive about your health as you age.
Finding the Right Supplements
Reading the label on any supplements lets you know which nutrients they contain. Men have special nutritional needs as they age, and you want to make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need to remain healthy as you age. Taking the right supplements can be beneficial for helping you avoid common deficiencies of men who are over 40. At Envura Health, you’ll find the highest-quality supplements. They contain the vitamins and minerals you need in the recommended daily amounts. We’ll make sure you get the vitamins you need when you need them most. Contact us today to start your subscription so you never miss a dose.